M-School title: Retention Marketing Intern, Texture
Post-secondary institution: York University, Schulich School of Business
Program of study: Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
I really didn’t know what to expect from M-School in the beginning, but it turned out to be one of the best experiences. I really wanted a role that combined my passion for media with my education in marketing, and this internship was exactly that!
My position was on the retention side of Texture, which meant I had to wear many hats and take on a variety of different roles and responsibilities. Every day I got to learn something new and exciting. I also got the opportunity to attend many different meetings and collaborate with a variety of people. It was definitely a challenging role but exciting at the same time, which made the internship experience wonderful. Every day I had something new to look forward to. This internship provided me with an in-depth understanding of the publishing industry, along with the business knowledge of successfully operating a team.
The M-School sessions and trips were amazing. Through the sessions, you learn how publishing operates by meeting people that work on every different part of the business. Also, you get close with the other interns and have a great time on the fun trips. Overall, M-School was an amazing experience and made my summer extremely memorable.
What were your primary tasks?
- Updating the top stories on the Texture app
- Organizing stories and ideas for push notifications
- Writing + generating content for weekly engagement emails sent to Texture subscribers
- Putting together data files to analyze results and come up with new engagement strategies
- Developing and maintaining engagement for the summer contest on Texture
Describe one day in the workplace.
Come in, check my email and understand the agenda for the day. Check the Texture app to see which new magazines have come out and go through them to select interesting stories for the Highlights screen on the app. Scan stories for weekly engagement email or pushes that are sent to the subscriber base. Work on ongoing projects, whether it is analyzing data or putting together a presentation deck. Also, most days you will have a meeting or two to attend. There are also some really fun days where you can go see a live taping of Cityline, take a road trip to Owen Sound, or witness an advertising shoot!
What is your dream job?
The director of a news broadcasting company or a crime reporter
Your best work at M-School:
- Summer by Texture contest – Contest ran for two months and demonstrated a lot of engagement from the contest page and social media posts
- Engagement emails – Sent weekly engagement emails to subscribers